Friday, May 20, 2011

progress and lentils

French Lentil Rice Soup, adapted from Amy Jones' website, World of Wisdom

ellen called to drop by this week--she was bringing some heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers for my garden.

my house was a mess.

i warned her.

while i waited for her to come by i started to clean up.

and it was a moment.

you know those time stands still type of moments

when your brain cracks open and you "see" something.

it was the day i had been praying to be "present."

because there was still so much i wanted to learn and do.

and as i scurried around cleaning up--everything i touched was a manifestation of the changes in our lives this past eight months.

most of it stemming from a conversation with ellen herself.

raw honey on the counter.

natural hand soap and dish soap at the sink.

natural laundry soap in the dishwasher.

blender.

raw nuts.

positive words on the containers.

containers of lentils, quinoa, brown rice. . .

a carrot smoothie for my kids.

essential oils being diffused.

cookbooks.

my square foot gardens on the back porch.


the list went on and on.


it was a moment where i realized

look around at NOW

and see how much you have already learned.

look how far you've come.

further than you could have imagined.

so, have faith that you can come that far in the future.

and banish your worries and your and your anxious feelings.

you're doing it.

right now.

you've done it.

life is good, whole, and complete--right now.

now hurry and clean up that honey off the counter before ellen gets here.

okay that last thought was me.

i am a recovering perfectionist after all.

here is the progress i have made on my 20 family-approved meals.

French Lentil Rice Soup

6 C chicken or vegetable broth

1 C rinsed lentils

2 medium carrots, peeled and minced

1 small onion, minced

2 celery stalks, minced

3 tbsp. brown rice, uncooked

2 tbsp. garlic, minced

1 tsp Herbs de Provence or dried thyme (I didn't have this on hand, so I didn't use it)

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

1/4 heavy cream or sour cream (optional)

1/4 C chopped parsley (optional)

In a soup pot, add everything but the cream and parsley. Simmer for 1 hour or cook in slow cooker on high for 4-5 hours. Remove 1 1/2 C soup and puree in blender until almost smooth and pour back into pot. Garnish with 1 tbsp. cream and 1 tbsp. parsley. Serves 4-5

Alright, so I didn't read the directions very well--and didn't to the pureeing. I also left out the cream and parsley. I have tried several lentil soup recipes and this is by far my favorite. The family loved it. I served it with homemade bread and a green salad. I wish I would have doubled the recipe--we ate it all up.

1. Lentil Tacos

2. Lentil Soup with Homemade Bread

3. Vegetarian Taco Salad

4. Whole Wheat Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce

5. Robyn's Vegetarian Chili (in 12 Steps Book)

6. Sun-Dried Tomato Quinoa

7. Orange-Infused, Walnut-Crusted, Coconut-Smeared Talapia

8. Pecan Cranberry Quinoa

9. Potato-Egg Stir Fry (I'll post the recipe soon)

Soups and Salads

1. Strawberry Salad

2. Carrot Orange Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment