Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Five Were Wise by Walter Rane


Here are a few thoughts I wrote two years ago when I started building up my food storage:

"I have always thought that having our lamps full was only to ensure safety at a future event or time. Perhaps that is why food storage was never a top priority for me. What I have learned is that building up my food storage has been a blessing now. I have committed to cooking at home, rather than our default eating out. I have learned to make more things from scratch. Not only does this save money, and enrich our diets--I do think there is great satisfaction from the creative art of cooking (although I am still waiting for the satisfaction from the creative art of cleaning dishes). I think building my food storage has also made me more grateful for what I do have and more careful with my resources. I feel like I have also been blessed through many answered prayers. Perhaps we are also blessed with an abundance of the Spirit-- simply for being obedient.

Here are a few great talks about food storage and preparation."

Food Storage, Vaughn J. Featherstone

Raise the Bar, President Eyring

Prepare Ye, President Benson

Stand Independent Above All Other Creatures, Elder McConkie

Lay Up In Store, Keith B. McMullin


Re-reading these this quote in President Benson's talk stood out to me this time:


The Lord has set loose the angels to reap down the earth (see Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, p. 251), but those who obey the Word of Wisdom along with the other commandments are assured “that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. …” (D&C 89:21.)

No comments:

Post a Comment