Monday, December 13, 2010

notes from midway


illustration by Nikki Mcclure

A few notes and thoughts from the class by Greensmoothiegirl, Raw Melissa, and Gluten-free Desi.

1) Meditate on love for your body. Your body is phenomenal. Appreciate your body.

Repeat this mantra: "I love my body. My body serves me well."

The things we abuse are the things that we do not value. We nurture, nourish and love the things that we do value.


2) Change just one thing a week.


3) Six Tips for Making Traditional Recipes More Healthy

1. Flour: Grind soft white wheat finely.

2. Sugar: Use Sucacant or coconut sugar (available in the bins at Good Earth).

3. Salt: Use RealSalt, certified Himalayan Crystal Salt or Celtic salt (I posted a link on a previous post about these salts).

4. Oil: Use unprocessed, cold pressed Coconut or Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

5. Baking Powder: Aluminum free.

6. Eggs: Organic. Robyn Openshaw said if there was just ONE thing that you were going to buy organic let it be eggs. Conventional eggs have exactly the wrong proportion of omegas.


4) I loved a few thoughts by Raw Melissa:

You need happiness and joy to be healthy. If you don't have happiness and joy in your life, "Stand up and get it."

She also said to mix "love" in every food you prepare (and she prefers to use her hands to mix in that love).

It was fun to drive up with Donna, Kristi, Lisa and Ellen. Ellen brought her greensmoothie with her and had written "Love and Charity" on the jar. I had labeled my dry good containers but I love the idea of those beautiful words on my glasses as well.

I loved the recipes and tasting the food. The salad and dressing (recipe in the 12 Steps book) were fantastic. Seriously, Raw Melissa's spring rolls with Thai Peanut sauce were amazing. I can't wait to work with rice paper. I came home and made the salad and the Spinach, Garlic Mashed potatoes.

Yum.

I love my body. My body serves me well. My hands serve my family. I love to see them grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment