Tuesday, December 14, 2010

greensmoothie boy vs. hulk potatoes


Last week, after the Midway class, I came home and started cooking.

I made Robyn Openshaw's Spinach potatoes.

I decided that my kids might object to floating bits of green in their mashed potatoes--so I threw the spinach in my blender and mixed it in with the potatoes to make ALL the potatoes a brilliant shade of green.

I served them on red plates and presented them as "Christmas potatoes."

I wasn't really fooling anyone.

Davis was upset that I had told him I was making mashed potatoes and then served. . .green stuff.

You know that moment as a mom at the dinner table when you have planned and cooked and everyone seems to be crying at the table.

I looked at Tim--I was ready to fold.--panic and frustration in my eyes.

and then in my mind I saw a mental picture of a tiny photograph I had seen of a boyhood Tim--dressed as the HULK. A painted green, ripping through pajamas, sprayed hair boy.

I renamed the potatoes "Hulk potatoes."

Tim's eyes lit up and he cleared off a section of the table and began to arm wrestle the kids.
Only those who ate the hulk potatoes had a chance of winning.
Skyler ate potatoes to gather strength as he held Tim's hand--ready to win.

Thanks greensmoothie boy for helping your boys eat their spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment