Tuesday, March 1, 2011

tonight's dinner:)




Alas, no picture for tonight's dinner.

Tonight's dinner was inhaled.

5 thumbs way up.

Orange-Walnut Salad (12 Steps, p. 50)

1 C walnut pieces
10 oz. mixed greens
1 head butter lettuce (or romaine), chopped
2 large navel oranges, peeled and sectioned, with each section cut in half (i used clementines)
1/2 red onion (i kept this in a separate bowl)
1 can kidney beans (optional)

I toasted the chopped walnuts with a bit of agave (and saved some for the fish).

Orange-Walnut Salad Dressing (12 Steps, p. 61)

1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
2/3 C orange juice (fresh-pressed)
1/4 C agave or honey
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Blend in a high-power blender until smooth.



Walnut-Crusted & Orange-Infused & Coconut-Smeared Tilapia

I made this little diddy up.
I am very proud.

Preheat oven to 400.
Coat a pan with coconut oil.
Squeeze fresh orange juice and a bit of lemon over the fillets.
Sprinkle sea salt and pepper.
Put a dob of coconut oil on each fillet.

Coat fillets with chopped, agave-sweetened walnuts and a few shredded coconut flakes.
(I kept this off the kids'--because I wasn't sure how they would feel about extra stuff).

Cook for about 20 minutes--until the fish is flaky and opaque.


Serve with brown rice. (Rinse and soak brown rice a few hours before cooking to make it extra soft).

Roasted Asparagus

400 for about 10 minutes (until soft). Break asparagus where it naturally snaps. Line a pan with asparagus spears--drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper.

Remember to take it out of the oven. Tonight I forgot. I left and Tim and the boys played outside. They found the asparagus later. The kids were heart-broken. They love this stuff.




Springtime = Asparagus.

It reminded me of two books that I discovered last year.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barabara Kingsolver

and Jamie at Home--the most beautiful cookbook in entire world (a review here).

I have to admit that thinking of Jamie's bacon-wrapped asparagus is calling to me. . .perhaps I'll forget what I have learned about bacon for a night or two:).

No comments:

Post a Comment