Saturday, March 26, 2011

st. patricks and green smoothies



image by Sara Westbrook for One Charming Party

My cute friends over at One Charming Party posted green smoothies for St. Patrick's Day. They happily allowed me to re-post them here, because they know how much I love them.

Both of these ladies introduced me to some pretty awesome stuff.

I credit Sara with introducing me to Martha Stewart, Pottery Barn, and photography eight years ago.

I was Brittany's visiting teacher. She introduced me to some beautiful ideas that seemed really radical to me, but they were really age-old practices. I remember raw milk in her fridge and her historic farm table. Later she introduced me to The China Study. I still remember emailing her and saying, "I don't plan on giving up all dairy or all meat--but greatly reducing it. What would that be?" I think I was looking for a label like "vegan" or something. She was sweet and said something like that isn't vegan or vegetarian but good for you!.


Well, I love to see Brittany's green smoothies and Sara's photography paired together.

Bronwyn had asked if I would come in to her class to make green smoothies for St. Patrick's Day. She was a little bit nervous to see how her friends would react.

I was too.

I thought this will be awesome for so many kids to try green smoothies and Bronwyn will feel great. . .

or

everyone will say "ew!!" and Bronwyn will be embarrased and never want to drink them again.

I focused all my energies and prayers on the positive outcome.

I packed up my blender and spinach on March 17th.

I explained a little bit about how great the smoothies were for their bodies.

I said it would help them run faster and be smarter.

The kids said, "That's why Bronwyn is so smart!"

I laughed so hard and hoped that that would be enough motivation for them to try:).

I poured little cups. The kids asked for more! So I made another blender full (and would have made more but I didn't bring enough ingredients). A few kids came back for at least 5 servings.

We had a "green smoothie mustache" contest.

Then a little girl came up with a scrap of paper and a pencil asking for the recipe.

Other kids lined up with pencils wanting one too.

So, I promised I would send Bronwyn with a bunch the next day.


One of Bronwyn's friends loved it so much she brought the recipe home.

Her mom told me she doesn't even like smoothies (like the ice cream kind) so this sweet mom bought some agave and had some frozen spinach in her freezer and made her first green smoothie. That same friend asked for a green smoothie when she came to play at our house.


Pretty much the best outcome ever. I think it was also great for Davis to hear what an a great reaction the green smoothies got and that Bronwyn was bold enough to share. When a classmate asked at the end, "Who likes green smoothies?" I think all the kids raised a hand, then some kids starting raising two hands, and then someone got on the floor and raised their hands and then feet up. . .and other kids joined in.

I remember a comment Gina made to me that kids want to make healthy choices.

Just like Skyler who threw away the sucker that Grandpa;) gave him yesterday and said, "I don't want to be a Junk Food Dude. I am a Green Smoothie Guy!" Tim texted that news to me and said, "See, it's worth it."

And that message is so important to remember. . .


I appreciated some comments from Robyn Openshaw on her blog about the power of young moms.

Read it here and here.

. . .and how to feel like a great mom, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment