Monday, March 21, 2011

dreams of a farm girl

(image via www.maryruffle.tumblr.com)


i want a white eyelet dress.

and cowboy boots.

i want chickens (four or five)

and a milking goat.

i want rows of peaches in my pantry.

and tomatoes.

i want a cold storage full of potatoes and apples.

and braids of garlic and onions.

i want to wear rubber boots and skirts

and a cap i knitted.

i want my children to know where carrots come from

and eggs.

i want sun-warmed quilts

and nights by a fire pit.

i want mason jars filled with peonies

and sunflowers.

i want lavender to grow beside salad greens

and blue morning glory beside pumpkins.

i want the skills that my grandparents taught

to not be lost.

feeding sheep, catching fish, hunting deer, crocheting blankets, shooting marbles, sewing clothes, and making grape juice. . .

fresh from my own vines.

these are the dreams of a farm girl who never had to do any chores--but to collect warm brown eggs, bottle-feed warm lambs, and pick warm raspberries.


(thoughts I wrote last January)


I like this post of Word of Wisdom Living about creating food traditions in our families.

No comments:

Post a Comment