Sunday, January 23, 2011

Small and Simple Things...

Photo by Brook Andreoli

Brook asked me if I would share some of my experiences with green smoothies since that has been what we have been focusing on in January. I have loved learning about green smoothies and trying new smoothie recipes since I first learned about them a few months ago. I have to admit some of my attempts have been better than others and my husband and family have been patient with me as I have tried new things and experimented. One of the biggest benefits so far has been that we don't eat as much sugar and have included more whole grains and raw vegetables into our meals.

Each morning I have put any left over smoothie in a quart jar thinking that I would drink it later during the day, but instead my husband started grabbing the jar and taking it with him to work and sharing it with his co-workers. Comments from them have ranged from, "I like it!" and "It's good!" to "It tastes like sawdust!" from a teenager. (They work in a wood shop so I don't doubt that it really did.) I was surprised though a couple weeks ago though when Michael pulled the container of green smoothie out of our fridge and served it at our work party to go with the other party food on the table. Everyone said they really liked it and it made me smile. I have been grateful for his enthusiasm and support with the changes that we are making.

I have also found that even the simple changes we make to our lifestyle can sometimes have profound effects. After attending a class about essential oils recently I bought a book to learn more about them. I was talking with my mom about it and she asked what the book recommended for high blood pressure. I found that lemon oil was supposed to help. The next morning mom put 1/4 lemon in some warm water and drank it and her blood pressure finally came down for the first time that week after trying to get it down with different medications with no success. The next day when she checked her blood pressure after drinking lemon water with 1/4 lemon in it the results were even better. Needless to say I am so grateful for the things I have been learning and the positive effects it has had on our lives.

This is a copy of the latest green drink I have tried. I added a carrot and there was quite a bit of pulp so I needed to strain it, but I really liked it.

Dr. Mehmet Oz’s Green Drink

Apparently this green drink recipe was first shared in the Oprah Show by Dr. Oz, in 2007.

  • 2 apples cored
  • 2 BIG handfuls of spinach
  • 1 medium cucumber
  • 3 ribs/sticks of chopped celery
  • 1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root, peeled
  • 1 bunch parsley
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon

Lately I have also been studying about making homemade yogurt and keifer and thought I would include this recipe as well.

Banana Nut Winter Smoothie
1 banana, frozen
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1/4 c chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp honey (optional)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Cut the frozen banana into 3 or 4 chunks and peel. Place in blender with yogurt, walnuts, cinnamon and honey (optional). Blend on high for 2 minutes or until smooth. Pour into glass and top with a dusting of ground nutmeg.

Dannon Yogurt Recipe

1 comment: