Tuesday, October 19, 2010

mothers who know are nurturers

This year I chose a phrase to guide my year.

"Daily Nourish."

Not only have I been trying to nourish my spirit daily I have also felt impressed to study diet and nutrition for the last year and a half--especially the Word of Wisdom--and learn how to nourish my body daily.

I have been slowly making changes.

I have been searching, and am beginning to see

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers."

I felt compelled to study nutrition because it seemed in some way that every person in my family was suffering from something. For example, my boys and I seemed to be trading colds and the flu literally all winter long. Bronwyn suffers from allergies, eczema, and high amounts of yeast. Davis suffered from numerous ear infections as a baby (is now allergic to penicillin), and was being diagnosed with possible asthma. Skyler has been almost impossible to put to bed the past six months (he has a very difficult time settling down) and I felt like I might die if I couldn't get him to sleep. I had a panic attack in December and went to the doctor to receive an inhaler. I was also suffering effects from a massive amount of stress and knew that my body was suffering. When the doctor prescribed asthma medication for Davis (that he would take every day for an undetermined amount of time) I felt compelled to search for "different ways of truer answers." Part of the answers have been guiding me toward a different path of nutrition for my family.

I feel that a few small changes in my nutrition have had a deep impact on my life (such as eating meat sparingly, adding green smoothies to our diet, drinking 8 glasses of water a day, avoiding high fructose corn syrup and caffeine, buying organic and local, and now transitioning to replacing sugars, yeast, and dairy in our diet) . There are several things that I have been concerned about with my family's health and I have felt impressed to "let food be my medicine."

I feel that it was a "tender mercy" to be introduced to Cali Ann Cutler last week through a neighbor. Cali Ann is a nutrition educator. I loved attending her class and talked to her about setting up a series of classes. I feel that I have read a lot of information about things that I want to change and now I find myself looking in the pantry, or shopping at the grocery store or out and about hungry and think, "Now what?" I know what I don't want my family eating any more but I don't know exactly what to feed them. . .and they would still like dessert so what can I do?

Well, I tasted Cali Ann's chocolate and know that it was divine and I am excited to learn more.

Class Outline
1. Let food be thy medicine (why raw)
2. Breakfasts/ smoothies
3. Snacks/ Kids
4. Desserts/Chocolate
5. Raw Entrees (lunch/ dinners)
6. Breads/Sprouting
7. Wild herbs/ wild water/ herbal medicine 101
8. Open class to be decided by class interests

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking over your site today. I am truly impressed. I stumbled upon you looking for a recipe for greensmoothiegirl's hot pink breakfast smoothie. You are truly inspiring. I have wanted to get a group like this together for some time now. I know several people who would be great resources for different things, like your group seems to be made up of. I was tickled that the 'bread geek' did a demo with her natural yeast as I just recieved not one but two copies of her book for Christmas from two different sister in laws. I'm sure I will be looking in on you and your gatherings a lot. Thanks so much for sharing what you are doing. I feel there are a lot more people out there that want to make changes but don't know how. People like you are helping the rest of us see that we are not alone, just isolated maybe.
    Alison -Saratoga Springs, Utah

    ReplyDelete