Tuesday, October 19, 2010

create


I took a break from packing up our house last month and went out to gather my roses one last time. The roses I had planted. The roses I knew by name, color and smell. I walked barefoot on my grass and gathered them all in a pink basket, from my great-aunt Dora. I saw the herbs that were spilling over my pots. I was nostalgic, but not sad. Months ago when we had talked about moving and the thought of leaving all the work we had put into the yard left me shaky. But that day as I cut my roses I was happy that I had lived there, that I had a had a chance to create something that no one else would have created. That I would leave a beautiful nook in the world.

"Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter." --President Uchtdorf

I have been thinking about this word CREATE.

As I am creating a new home.

New spaces.

New pantry.

New habits.

New thoughts.

New recipes.

Sometimes I can feel intimidated by the change--I have Halloween chocolate molds all ready to create treats from cacao and coconut oil and yet I'm a little nervous to actually do it with out Cali by my side.

Perhaps this little space can be a support as we create. A shared recipe. An inspiring thought. A health success story. A resource. . .

as we nurture and create and "render the earth so pleasant that when you look upon your labors you may do so with pleasure, and that angels may delight to come and visit your beautiful locations." (Brigham Young)

Because. . .

"Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.

Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty. . .

The more you trust and rely upon the Spirit, the greater your capacity to create. That is your opportunity in this life and your destiny in the life to come. Sisters, trust and rely on the Spirit. As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you."

from one of my all time favorite talks by President Uchtdorf. I think I will always remember sitting in the chapel watching the broadcast smiling and taking notes and beaming that an apostle was speaking about "creating."

just in case you haven't seen the beautiful video.

No comments:

Post a Comment