Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Autumn Salad


FRESH PEAR SALAD



Spring greens (I used the EarthBound Organic baby green mix from Costco)
Dried Cranberries
Fresh pear slices
Candied Pecans (works great with other nuts, too). If you desire you can soak your pecans:). I spread them on a cookie sheet and drizzled some agave syrup over them. I kept them in the oven for just a few minutes until they were a bit candied. Cool and then chop.

Assemble the salad using the quantities you desire. It looks pretty with ingredients layered on top of salad and the pears nicely arranged. Dress with raspberry or cranberry vinaigrette. (I added some turkey on top--Good Earth has a few meats available that are hormone-free, antibiotic-free, and from free range birds. In fact Good Earth is now taking Thanksgiving orders for local turkeys that meet the above qualifications).

CRANBERRY VINAIGRETTE: (Combine and blend in blender)

1/2 tsp. salt (sea salt, Realsalt or Himalayan are excellent choices)
Dash of pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. agave
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice (I used fresh)
1/4 cup pomegranate arils (I bought these at Costco in the veggie/fruit section) I am sure you could throw in some fresh cranberries or raspberries.

Pomegranates are a great way to use a seasonal fruit right now (here is a local list for Utah). Doesn't this recipe look divine?--and I don't even like mushrooms:). Remember these may be new concepts to think about--they surely are for me. This is the first time I've ever had pomegranate--but I saw them ripe on the tree at Brigham Young's house in St. Geroge and knew it was time to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment