Monday, March 16, 2009

mothers who know are leaders

As I was contemplating what picture to take for this theme I was mindful of the line, "These wise mothers who know are selective about their own activities and involvement to conserve their limited strength in order to maximize their influence where it matters most." It reminded me of line from Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea (a must-read for women).

"Eternally, woman spills herself away in driblets to the thirsty, seldom being allowed the time, the quiet, the peace to let the pitcher fill up to the brim. . . With our garnered free time, we are more apt to drain our creative springs than to refill them. With our pitchers, we attempt some times to water a field, not a garden. . .[italics added] Not knowing how to feed the spirit, we try to muffle its demands with distractions."

May we carefully conserve water for our backdoor gardens and take the time to refill our pitchers with Living Water.

1 comment:

  1. I read gifts from the sea a long time ago - in a book club I was part of for - oh - a blip of a moment.
    I loved it, I don't remember much about it but I liked it - that would be a great read for our book club.

    ReplyDelete